Thursday, December 17, 2009

And the Stockings Were Hung by the...

Early last year when I found out I was pregnant with Avery and that he would be a Christmas baby, I knew I wanted something really special to celebrate his arrival. I asked Katie Jo- a goddess by every right, but in particular- a knitting goddess and dear friend if she could help me out. She agreed and said she would create something just for us, and would it would be in Chicago (Katie lives in Phoenix) before Avery made his debut. I cried when I opened the package that arrived for all of us at the beginning of December last year. ( I mean, come on look at these...wouldn't you?)

We took pictures of Avery in the stocking, but I can't find them anywhere...now Mr. Tubbles is so big, there is no way to fit him in. Sigh. Katie knit these on the fly- no pattern- er, creating the pattern as she went along rather. (I do not knit- its just not in my make up. I am eternally grateful that I have fantastic friends that do knit and share their talent with my lazy self....)

The attention to detail is crazy. The snowflakes, the trees...don't even get me started on the fact that my dear crazy Katie knit our names (on both sides) on each of our stockings!! Oh boy! (Literally!)



I think all of us got excited this year when we pulled these out from their slumber.

I didn't really think that when I asked Katie to do this for me, I was asking her to help us create a little magic, some holiday tradition, and a sense of anticipation for what is to come ...but she did.



...and the stockings were hung by the stairs with care- well, it rhymes. It might not be as romantic as the fireplace, but I don't mind.


Katie's whole family (including her husband Steve who is also a great photographer) are knitting wunderkinds. They are ridiculously talented. I am the luckiest recipient of their generosity. You can click here to see more of Katie's amazing amazing amazing knits. (She goes by her superhero knitting alias, Kiki once you go into her woolly realm-and she has patterns and links and the like for all of you that are knit savvy- unlike me.)


**

Oh, sorry I missed yesterday. The day started out very early with a "Mama, I just threw up." Ah, the magic of motherhood.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...