Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Craving a Cup...

At least a cup. Maybe more. Definitely more. I started making the "Martha's Classic Eggnog" from MSL about 12 years ago- I didn't make it last year due to the arrival of Avery & that whole not consuming alcohol (bah humbug!) thing. This year I have been dreaming of it along with sugar plums and and mountains of cookies and fudge and all of the other low-fat, no-fat, so good for you Christmas confections I want to make in the next week. I thought I would share this recipe with you so you could revel too. Just so you know, its really strong, so watch yourself...I'm just sayin'.




Martha's Classic Eggnog

6 large eggs, separated

3/4 cup superfine sugar

2 cups whole milk

3 cups heavy cream, plus more for garnish

1/2 cup of Makers Mark (or other tasty bourbon)

1/4 cup dark rum

1/4 cup Cognac

Lots of freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling

1) Beat yolks in a very large bowl until thick and pale. Slowly beat in sugar. Whisk in milk and 2 cups cream. Mix in bourbon, rum and Cognac. Cover and refrigerated for up to 1 day.

2) Just before serving, beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form, and fold into eggnog. Sprinkle generously with nutmeg.

* Side notes from me- I use pasteurized eggs from the grocery store- most Jewel's or major grocery stores have them. I mean the ones that are still in the shell, not Egg Beaters & the like. Then you don't have to worry at all about that whole poisoning your holiday guests with the Salmonella...just a thought. Also, I like extra whipped cream on top-I mean, come on who doesn't? Lastly, do not use pre-grated nutmeg. It tastes nasty. Enjoy- just not too much. Okay, whatever...its the holidays- make merry & drink as much as you want to! Just don't email me back and tell me you karaoked to Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree in front of your friends & family wearing nothing but your "Santa's Little Helper" underware & some mistletoe...I know who you are...control yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...