Thursday, October 1, 2009

1 of 31

Hello October. I have missed you.

There is something about this month that makes me feel more alive. Some of my most favorite parts of life happen in October- leaves hand in their green for more vibrant shades, a beautiful grey chill fills the air, (what can I say, I'm a cold weather girl...), shorts and swimsuits get swapped for sweaters and stockings, grilling trades places for baking, the Great Pumpkin calls out to me- just like every year- to come and find him, and of course- Halloween....


There is a smell I love about October too- chill and warmth mixed with dryness and damp....


I scribbled these few lines down years ago, they are written by Mark Leyner- from his book, My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist. (Ha ha, I know- I know, but trust me- the lines are lovely even if he is certifiably wacko.)
From Ode to Autumn:
"that night we learned that ecstasy meant the collapse of time
past present future perceived in a single instant
you were watching the trajectory of your own words as they left your mouth
words which disappeared into the horizon
words which, due to the curvature of space, returned many years
later like murmuring boomerangs to your ear"

I don't know about you, but I think there are those moments that you have that are so painfully perfect you actually realize that you are in your own life- truly experiencing a moment- and you have to hold on to that part of your life as if the entire world has collapsed around it. Your memories bring those moments back to you on occasion- yes indeed, as if they are murmuring to you. I have ever so many of these that seem to collect themselves all around this month.
Hello October. I've missed you.
Images taken from MSL and Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...