Monday, September 28, 2009

Day Tripper

Another gloomy, rather chilly day here in Chicago. I thought we would go traveling again. Where else would one think to go on an overcast, blustery day but bright beautiful England? I love England. I dream of being there sometimes- usually while I'm watching Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility or some other movie drenched in romantic nonsense. Speaking of Elizabeth Bennet- Meg Ryan's character in You've Got Mail talks about slipping into the dreamy state of afor mentioned P&P... " I get lost in the language, words like thither, mischance, felicity...." Yessss indeedy, lets get lost together as we head to Petersham Nurseries in London, off the River Thames....

I wish I was a bird- what a fantastic place to take up residence, an English garden would definitely be my pick. Hey, this picture looks vaguely familiar, doesn't it? All I'm sayin' is that Petersham has been around longer than Terrain...that's all.


They too have a cafe. All organic- and the menu changes every week. On the menu this week is 'Grilled Trevis and Violetta Aubergines with Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Tomato and Olive Crush.' See what Meg means about getting lost in the language? Where else would grilled lettuce, eggplant and broccoli with relish sound so languidly luscious?

In addition to how ridiculously beautiful the grounds are- I also love the way the English put things. I found a tool caddy which they called a "leather tool tidy", rain boots are "wellies", soaps are listed under "self indulgences". Ahhhhh, deep sigh....There are formal gardens that are adjacent to the nursery and are open certain days of the year for public touring.



Petersham is also incredibly eco responsible. None of their plants purchased go home in plastic containers, they all are sent in coir (the husk of coconut) pots- which you just sink into the ground with the plant, completely bio-degradable. The nursery also encourages/discourages public transportation over driving. They give bike & bus routes in addition to the Hammertons Ferry schedule where you can ferry (first dog is free, second dog only 10p!) across the Thames and stroll into the gardens. Chicago's chill is feeling further away already, isn't it?



I'm not sure if its the 'cheese covers' the enormous bird house or the beautiful ferns in their wooded pots that I love the most about this picture. There are just too too many images of this beautiful place. Click here for more, brew yourself a cuppa and feast your eyes...I'm sure your spirit will be warmed- if not your toes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...