Friday, September 4, 2009

And This Little Gnome Went Wee Wee Wee All The Way Home!

I know you have been waiting for promised report on Garden Gnomes. Today will not disappoint. Yes, here he is, the common garden gnome. Red pointed hat and all. Gnomes were actually a concept coined by a Swiss Alchemist named Paracelsus (see, I did some homework...) who decided there were four species of elemental beings- water, air, fire and earth- the gnomes were earth- later regarded as "treasure guarding" dwarfs. It was the Swiss & the Germans that gave our friend his red cap. Very fashionable in the Victorian Era- all made of clay, it wasn't until the mid twentieth century he slid down the tasteful slide and landed in the role of plastic lawn ornament and became the symbol of affectionate mockery.



I don't know about you, but when I think of gnomes, Amelie always pops into my head, stealing her father's gnome away for a globe-trotting extravaganza.



I think about the gnome often. I can't help it, I have a neighbor whose yard is littered with them. I would post a picture, but that might be construed as well, rude. Isn't there a more modern version of our dear little friend? How about gnome soap on a rope? Anyone?
This wee man is from Vitamin- an amazing design group from England. He is the epitome of a modern gnome- tattooed and all. I see him rather on the bookcase than the garden scape.




This is my idea of the ultimate garden gnome. Treasure guarding dwarf indeed.



My quest for garden gnomes continues! Actually, its more of an ongoing hunt for great garden accent pieces. I will share them all with you (of course!) as I find them. Happy weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Gnomes do make the best accent pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially my Mr. Tubbles version (pictured above) if only he would keep the weeds away!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...