Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Nod to Nog

Without fail, every year, around this time I seriously begin to crave eggnog. Not the carton, store-bought kind. Homemade. Homemade and heavily spiked. I have been making Martha Stewart's Classic Eggnog for the longest time, and let me tell you, it is GOOOOOOOOOOD. (Sometimes a little bit too good, if you know what I mean.) Recipe below, let me know if you try some- and share.



Martha's Classic Eggnog

6 large eggs, separated

3/4 cup superfine sugar

2 cups whole milk

3 cups heavy cream, plus more for garnish

1/2 cup of Makers Mark (or other tasty bourbon)

1/4 cup dark rum (I usually use Mount Gay or Myers)

1/4 cup Cognac

Lots of freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling

Serves 12...or if your like me and my family, serves 4...doubling or tripling recommended.

1) Beat yolks in a very large bowl until thick and pale. Slowly beat in sugar. Whisk in milk and 2 cups cream. Mix in bourbon, rum and Cognac. Cover and refrigerated for up to 1 day.

2) Just before serving, beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form, and fold into eggnog. Sprinkle generously with nutmeg.

* Side notes from me- I use pasteurized eggs from the grocery store- most major grocery stores have them. I mean the ones that are still in the shell, not Egg Beaters & the like. Then you don't have to worry at all about that whole poisoning your holiday guests with Salmonella. Also, I like extra whipped cream on top-I mean, come on who doesn't? Lastly, do not use pre-grated nutmeg. It tastes nasty. Consume with caution. It goes down much too easily. I'm just throwing that out there....I cannot be held responsible for over-consumption which results in football games played with Aunt Tessie's fruitcake, spontaneous kissing games akin to spin the bottle but played with mistletoe, or snowman building and decorating with gifts you had been given including but not limited to Christmas themed sweaters or under-garments. Other than that though....

Picture via here. Thank yule. (I couldn't resist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...