The picture above is from this years Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies and you can download the recipe on her website, but I'll list it here too. I had to use the picture from the magazine because they went too quickly here- and I wasn't thinking of my camera & taking pictures as these kept finding their way into my...hands.
Salted Toffee-Chocolate Squares
- 15 store-bought graham crackers
- 1 bag (8 ounces) toffee bits*
- 1 and 1/2 cups raw almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (350 degrees until you can smell them)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped, or 3/4 cup chocolate chips**
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Place graham crackers in a single layer on sheet, edges touching. Sprinkle toffee bits and almonds evenly over graham crackers.
- Bring sugar and butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour over graham crackers. Bake until sugar topping is bubbling, about 12 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate and salt evenly over graham crackers. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack. Cut or break into 2 inch squares.
- Cram as many into your mouth as possible before sharing with loved ones.
** I added, in addition to the 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, about another 4 ounces of milk chocolate, just because it seemed like a really good idea at the time...and it was. I highly recommend it, if you try them.
I added number 3, just so you know. Wouldn't it be funny though if Martha did? They have that perfect salty/sweet combination that I adore. Yummy. Thank you Martha. Let me know if you try them, and if they stay with you...or if you actually share.