Thursday, January 6, 2011

New to the Repitore...

We do a lot of baking for the holidays. A lot. I'm sure, just like you there are the few (or many) old faithfuls, the cookies that you wouldn't think about not making when the holidays or a special occasion rolls around. Over here, there are the sugar cookies- which get made for every special occasion, small and large. For Christmas there is also the chewy chocolate gingerbread and the snowballs- Jamie makes awesome peanut brittle, and we usually throw in a miniature box of homemade caramel corn (complete with prize in box a la Cracker-Jax style!) Every year I like to try something different though- and this years trial was so darn good (and super easy) and met to such rave reviews from the recipients (those who actually got them, as I am ashamed to report most of them stayed here...and by here I mean here...in my mouth....) that I do believe I have found a recipe that is not only worthy to join the ranks of the other favorites, but a recipe to share with you.


The picture above is from this years Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies and you can download the recipe on her website, but I'll list it here too. I had to use the picture from the magazine because they went too quickly here- and I wasn't thinking of my camera & taking pictures as these kept finding their way into my...hands.

Salted Toffee-Chocolate Squares

  • 15 store-bought graham crackers
  • 1 bag (8 ounces) toffee bits*
  • 1 and 1/2 cups raw almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (350 degrees until you can smell them)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped, or 3/4 cup chocolate chips**
  • 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Place graham crackers in a single layer on sheet, edges touching. Sprinkle toffee bits and almonds evenly over graham crackers.
  2. Bring sugar and butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour over graham crackers. Bake until sugar topping is bubbling, about 12 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate and salt evenly over graham crackers. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack. Cut or break into 2 inch squares.
  3. Cram as many into your mouth as possible before sharing with loved ones.
* Jamie thought they could use more than just the 8 ounces, and I think more couldn't hurt.
** I added, in addition to the 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, about another 4 ounces of milk chocolate, just because it seemed like a really good idea at the time...and it was. I highly recommend it, if you try them.


I added number 3, just so you know. Wouldn't it be funny though if Martha did? They have that perfect salty/sweet combination that I adore. Yummy. Thank you Martha. Let me know if you try them, and if they stay with you...or if you actually share.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...