Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tonight, Tonight- Last Night

I have been having the strangest dreams...(pregnancy induced? Probably, but they aren't racy dreams...just odd.) Last night it was about me creating a 15th anniversary remake of Smashing Pumpkins Tonight, Tonight video from their album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The video has always been one of my favorites, paying an homage to Georges Melies' A Trip to the Moon.

Its a sweet story of a turn-of-the-century couple boarding a zepplin and making their way to the moon, only to be ambushed by moon-men whom they defend themselves against with their trusty umbrellas, board a rocket that shoots them back home and into the ocean where they meet Neptune (or something akin to him) and are delighted by an under the sea concert. Its endearing and enchanting with its fanciful costumes, acoustic instrument being played in the video and primitive special effects.

Its one of the videos that you would like to jump into and just become a part of for a while.

The song has always had an influence over me- Jamie & I are pretty big Pumpkins fans (and here I mean the group, not the gourds...you know how I feel about them....) This song would rank pretty high on our courtship "soundtrack". (What is on yours? That song that instantly makes you think of your certain someone?)

How did my head choose this song, this video out of all the others that it could have? Don't know. If I was one of those dream analyzer people, maybe I would say it has everything to do with my pregnancy, the anticipation and the fear that this particular baby will be all right. That my heart and my head both worked in tandem with my dreams knowing the sense of urgency and longing that surrounds this little girl. That "the impossible is possible...." Interesting indeed if you were one of those types that would then point out that those are the themes to this song (and the rest of the album) life, and its cycle to death, urgency, longing...but I am not one of those dream analyzer people, so I will just leave it alone...flattered that in my dream Billy Corgan chose me to re-create this dream of a video.


Who knows what video will pop up next on my dream play list?

Pictures via You Tube...and click here if you want to watch the video. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...