Friday, February 4, 2011

Shot 'o Sunshine

I was aimlessly shopping around the grocery store the other day...bread, milk, butter, M&M's... what else did I come here for? When what did I spy with my little eye- these little lovelies just sitting out for me to buy.... Never snub grocery store flowers, you just don't know what you might find, and the prices usually can't be beat. (Sometimes they are even better than wholesale prices, as was the case in these.)

Now, as pretty as the little narcissus Tete-a-Tete were, their plastic pots and plastic liners were not, and had to go.

Ah, the sweet smell of dirt....




Aren't they just to sweet? I could have taken a bite. Really. That reminds me of It's A Wonderful Life, when James Stewart asks Donna Reed if she wants the moon..."What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You-you want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey, that's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon...Well, then you could swallow it. And it'll all dissolve, see. And the moon beams will shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the ends of your hair...." I wonder if I did take a bite of this little flower and I did swallow it, if I could have the same thing, but it would be sunshine that would come streaming out, I wonder....

My friends found a new home in a simple glass cylinder, all nestled in together, real cozy like.


I topped them off with a little moss, just for good measure. ( And I really really enjoy moss. Really, just so you know....)


That is how they wound up, to go spread their sunshine to a client, as they were not mine to keep.


Except for these two, which asked me if they could hang around my house instead of being shipped back out into the cold wintry air.

Same plan, just in vintage mason jars. I tossed in a couple of pebbles, and wrapped the roots around some more moss- no extra dirt required.



A shot 'o sunshine just to say, happy weekend!

(Oh, and if you want to do this at home- and you can with any flowering bulb- don't throw them away when they are spent. Cut off whatever is green and store the bulb in a nice cool place- you can sink them into a little dirt or peat if you want, as long as it doesn't get damp- and let them rest until spring comes. Pull them out and plant them in your yard...they probably won't flower again until the following spring, (or if you choose to force again, next winter) but what a happy surprise you will have waiting for you next year! And the next, and the next and....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...