Tuesday, August 3, 2010

To Market To Market...

Jamie and I moved to Chicago from the sweet historic town of Oak Park. Every now and again I miss our old suburb- in particular, the Oak Park Farmer's Market- which in my opinion simply can't be beat. It has everything a foodie, a gardener, a child, an average Joe Schmo could want and then some. It is in full swing now- and runs through the end of October. (When there are gourds and pumpkins aplenty. I think my pulse just quickened a bit with the thought of pumpkins...but it is not quite time for those yet, not quite. For those of you who haven't been reading here long, lets just say I have a small obsession with pumpkins- as you will see come the end of September. Again, I get ahead of myself & the season....)

A rainbow of organic chard.

Peaches! I bought some and they are juice running down your arm perfect.


Did you say you love tomatoes? Me too! One of the stalls has tomatoes for days. Grape tomatoes, currant tomatoes, pear tomatoes, plum tomatoes, cherry tomatoes- and those are just the small ones! We are just coming into tomato season- I really don't think I can eat enough.


I bought some Michigan pickles to pickle- I'll let you know how that comes out as I've never pickled before. (There is something there about how many pickles can Becca pickle from the ones she picked or some such tongue-twister nonsense....)

I cut off the sign that says this truck-load of corn was hand picked this morning.

Two of the best things about the Oak Park Market? 1- The "come and play" bluegrass band that sets up and serenades everyone the entire time you are out shopping.

2- the doughnuts. Warm plain, cinnamon or powdered sugar doughnuts just waiting for you. Fresh ones are made constantly. The line usually is obscenely long- but it moves quickly, and the doughnuts are that good. Good enough to stand in line for.

I suppose I should say the best three things. Really good local flowers. Zinnias are just now coming in. Hello pretties.




I took even more pictures, if you can believe it. But I think you get the idea. The market is every Saturday from 7am-1pm until the end of October and is located at 460 Lake Street in Oak Park Illinois. Maybe I'll see you there next Saturday....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...