Thursday, February 18, 2010

This is the Dawning of the Age of Aquariums...

The boys and I recently went to one of our favorite Chicago landmarks- the John G. Shedd Aquarium. Going here makes me feel like I have been on a mini-vacation (for what you spend there, you could be on a vacation!) Aside from all of the fantastic fish, it is really the architecture that I love going to Shedd for. The little details that are everywhere are absolutely amazing.

Shedd opened its doors in May of 1930. The whole building is designed with a Beaux-Arts mixed with Greek influence. Above every doorway on the interior, there is a reference (I just typed reeference, ha ha- fish slip) to the water.


On the walls you can also see homages to the sea. The sea coral in plaster below wraps itself around the entire octagon of the Caribbean Reef exhibit.


This is the clock in the main entry, adorned with starfish, seahorse, ray, tortoise, and fish.





Where else do you get to sea (ha) lights like these?


The main hall above the Caribbean Reef- like a giant octopus stretching out his arms to greet you.




Even in the newer exhibits they have continued a more modern but equally aquatic theme where it is purely decorative. A bounty of mosaic jellyfish, or perhaps a shelf of coral greet you at the Wild Reef.



What kind of tour guide would I be if I didn't include at least one picture...


I hope the rest of your day goes by swimmingly!










No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...